Monday, April 1, 2013

Not an April Fools joke any more

My first April finish is ready to show.  I juuuust didnt quite get it finished for March - because spending time with the Grandies was much more important.

I started this quilt in a class towards the end of 2006.  I had been doing a paper piecing quilt class (that quilt is also not finished) and at the end the teacher decided to go on to curved paper piecing.  We were to use brights - not something I was used to at the time, so that was a bit hard to cope with.  I assembled the first block as the teacher had in her pattern, and showed it to some friends who were speechless, very obviously because they just couldnt stretch the truth enough to say they thought it was even slightly ok.   Hmmm.  I didnt know if they didnt like the fabrics, the arrangement, the brights, or everything about it.  So I brought it home and put it in the cupboard.
(Teachers sample quilt)
  
Last month I pulled it out, finished off the blocks and rearranged them before finishing off the quilt.   I have brought the backing fabric over to the front, mitred the corners and stitched it down rather than a traditional binding. The quilting is simple - basically echo quilted but with the quilting lines about 1 inch apart.

(My arrangement)





9 comments:

Marilyn said...

;-)

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Lovely Marilyn.
Your quilt is very striking. Well done. (Yes spending time with the grandies is far more important.)

Maureen Clare said...

You are right about the fabrics, they are very striking but I like the look. Well done, Marilyn

Noela said...

I really like it Marilyn. You have done a great job. Hugs......

Lorene Holbrook said...

Love the blue background. Makes your blocks pop! In fact I lke yours more thsn the sample. Great job!

Fiona said...

Love your version Marilyn... the setting lets your eyes follow the patterns...
Hugz

Maria said...

What a gorgeous finish Marilyn. Love the colours...

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I like your version. I am a huge fan of brights.

Chris H said...

*** WOW ***
Amazing and gorgeous.
That is all.
lol