Sunday, April 21, 2013

Embroidered tablecloth

In 2006 a group of 9 friends did a friendship quilt where it was handed around the group each month.  The "owner" didn't get to see their item until the reveal day at the end of the 9 months.  All the blocks made were temporarily tacked together so it could be seen by the owner on reveal day..

Here is mine when I received it.
I had decided to make a tablecloth and had asked each friend to make one embroidered block with a garden theme and a nine patch block in blue and white.  I supplied the white fabric and did the first block, the garden gate.  I needed to make another 6 embroidered blocks and more nine patches - well that does average out as one block a year since 2006, plus this year to do the border.



The embroideries are amazing - I hope they show well enough to give you an idea,
but the photos are not doing them justice at all.  I think I will take individual photos and post them on my blog.

I have used flannelette on the back, with no wadding, and have quilted around the blocks.  I dont know if I will ever let it be used - can you imagine a red wine stain on it - or coffee.  Aaargh.  But it does need to be on display sometimes as it is so beautiful.  What a dilemma !!!

I am so pleased to have this finished.

7 comments:

Susan said...

That is just gorgeous - what a lovely idea for a group project!

Unknown said...

The embroidery is amazing, so much work and love in this quilt

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Lovely. Those embroideries sure hold a lot of love.

Maureen Clare said...

That is a beautiful top Marilyn. Perhaps you could use it on your table when you have your sewing friends in for a sew-in but NO red wine :-)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Everyone did a wonderful job on their embroideries! I love the way you layed it all out and the border adds just the right touch.

Fiona said...

Marilyn hasn't it come up beautifully...
Hugz

Chris H said...

You are right... when you enlarge the photo you can see how gorgeous the embroidery is.
What a lovely finish, very special.