Monday, January 17, 2011

A Girl Adds a Finish

Finally, a finish to add to the list.  Though it is not off the list I posted earlier.  It is a project completed and it is out of my sewing basket. 

A friend of mine made this awesome I spy Quilt for her daughter, but was having trouble with the binding and asked me if I could help.
It got me to thinking....sometimes the hardest part of the quilt is the finish.  For some it is the quilting.  So they send it off to the quilters, and it comes back as a masterpiece. That's great, but what if the binding is the only thing that prevents you from having that perfect quilt?  You can't just send it out to the binder. 

I have tried many different methods, bought books, searched the Internet and even taken a class, and now I know what works for me.  I have taken a little from each and made it my own.  So, I thought I would take a minute and share how I bind a quilt. 

First, I cut 2 1/4" strips.  I don't cut them on the bias though I know I should, honestly I'm just a little lazy about it.  Then with wrong sides together I iron the strips in half the long way, and sew it on to the top of my quilt.  

Next, I hand sew the binding to the back of the quilt.  I don't pin or clip the binding in place, I don't need to, I just keep folding it over as I go along.  I start by hiding my knot in the salvage and bringing my needle out on the other side of my machine stitch.  I will use this as my guide.  Then I will use a ladder stitch (or some call it Jacob's Ladder) to sew my binding on. 


I used black thread in these photos so it would be easier to photograph and so you could see how the stitch disappears.  If you have any questions please let me know.  It is all about helping each other and getting these projects done.

Till next time,
A Girl in Paradise

8 comments:

BubzRugz said...

Lovely I spy quilt... that is how I do my binding too... for small projects I would do it back to front and machine finish.....
Hugz

Chris H said...

I think we all have our various ways of putting the binding on.. I think I do similar to you... though on the last three quilts I have sewn it on BOTH sides! Used fancy stitching on the front so it looks nice.
Well done on your 'finishes'.

Susan said...

Handy tips - thanks. My biggest problem ia also the quilting - I cant afford to get them all done, though fortunately one of the patchwpork shops not too far away now hires out their long arm quilting machine - need to organise that! I dont mind the binding - I used to hate the joining of the beginning and end but have now mastered that one, so its all good

Sue said...

Great tips. Thank you. I don't cut my binding on the bias either and it works out fine. I think is it whatever works for us.

Lynette said...

There is no need to cut the binding on the bias unless your quilt edge has curves.
I don't like the machine sewing but once that's done I don't mind the hand stitching. I like the fact that you have all that padding to stitch into.

Liz said...

I do my binding almost identical but I whip stitch. I will definitely give this stitch ago as it is well hidden. Thanks for the tip.

Cheryl said...

This is the method I use too, but the same as Liz I usually whip stitch but will definitely try this next time. Thanks

Wendyb said...

great finish....and tutorial!
Makes it easy for others to see another way to bind quilts.
well done!
Sew many sugary hugs
Wendy X :O)